An E-bike controller is a component that connects all electrical parts on the bike together. It can manage the overall functioning of the bike.
An E-bike controller is one of the most important features of Electric bikes. It works as the brain of the E-bike and manages every aspect of the bike. To operate the E-bike, we have to connect all electrical components like battery, sensor to the controller. With the help of a controller, you can control the power from the motor, speed of the bicycle, acceleration of the bike, etc.
This article represents the guide on E-bike Controller. Also, here we will discuss the parameters that need to be considered while selecting the controller.
What is an E-bike Controller?
An E-bike controller is a component that connects all electrical parts on the bike together. It connects the things like the battery, motor, throttle, display, pedal-assist, and various sensors. It is a small computer that acts as the heart of the e-bike. It can manage the overall functioning of the bike.
The function of the E-Bike Controller?
The controller’s main function is to take inputs from all the E-bike parts like throttle, battery, speed sensor, display, motor, etc., and determine what to be returned signal. The different controller design has multiple protections that are,
- Low-voltage Protection– The controller monitors the battery voltage continuously, and it shuts down the motor whenever the voltage reaches its cut-off level. It will protect the battery against over-discharge.
- Over-voltage Protection– The controller also monitors the charge level of the battery voltage. It will automatically shut down when the battery voltage reaches its full charge.
- Over-temperature Protection– The controller monitors the temperature of the FET (Field-effective Transistors). It will shut down the motor whenever they become too hot.
- Over-current Protection– If the motor takes more current, the controller reduces the current flow to the motor. It protects the motor windings as well as the FET power transistors.
- Brake Protection– The controller provides more priority to the braking signal as compared to others. For instance, if you apply the brakes and throttle simultaneously, it will perform the brake function.
Types of E-bike Controller
Three types of E-bike controllers are available, and they are brushed DC motor controller, brushless DC motor controller, and BLDC motor controller with hall sensor. Let see these in details,
Brushed DC motor controllers
Brushed DC motors come with permanent magnets to go with a connector. The design of these controllers is much simpler. It is just a set of keys that can change the current supplied to the engine.
In the market, there are different types of controllers available with various configurations. Therefore, kindly consider all the above parameters when you are choosing a controller.
Also, consider the required control functions, dimensions of the controller, etc. I hope this article helps you to choose the perfect controller for your E-bike motor.