Same form factor, more things to do. Welcome aboard the New Micro bit v2.
The micro:bit V1, normally called the micro: bit, was a huge success, which helped many kids, teenagers, and new geeky people learn to program and work with sensors. I like the micro:bit boards that are very compact, easy to use & cheap compared to the sensor and feature it offers.
It became a board used by many schools & universities to teach their students. It helped in bringing interest in programming to the new generation. It also helps understand hardware, sensor & how electronics works.
Why Delayed Launch?
The product launch was delayed. As everyone knows, the product was supposed to launch around November in India. Honestly, after hearing the feature and specs it offered, I was amazed that they fit all the things again in the same form factor, which is astonishing. I was waiting to make videos and articles about the new possibilities of the board, but unfortunately, it got delayed for almost seven months. Now the board has come in June in India.
If you are a parent who wants your kids to get some interest in coding or electronics, this is the way to start with. It has a block coding structure, which a computer can do easily & even a phone. The make code editor is easy to work with. They have made the documentation, videos & setup of the things so easy that even kids around 8-14 years can start with it without hassle.
Coming to the delay point, the main reason for the delay was silicon shortage, which happened due to increasing demand for PC & vehicles due to Corona lockdown worldwide. Even the bitcoin hype and increase in miners worldwide for mining caused the shortage due to the increase in demands for graphic cards. The shortage of silicon thus created a delay.
Sound emotion badge
- The micro:bit v2 with a built-in speaker can play new expressive sounds. This project plays a happy sound when you press input button A to match the happy icon on the LED display output.
- It plays a sad sound when you press button B to match the sad face icon.
- When you press the touch logo, it plays the ‘spring’ sound to match the surprised face on the LED display.
- When the microphone detects a loud sound, like a clap, it shows a large heart on the LED display.
- If it detects a quiet sound, for example, after your clap has finished, it shows a small heart.
- This effect is to create a simple heart animation that responds to claps or strong beats in music.
Microbit v2, like the older one, comes with the same form factor and a couple of improvements on it. It is well designed to teach the new generation about sensors and code.
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.